Lakeville was formerly a part of Middleborough, MA (which was incorporated in 1669). Lakeville was incorporated in 1853.

Lakeville received its name from the numerous lakes which occupy about 4,000 acres of the town.

“Lakeville is an inland rural town on the Plymouth-Bristol county boundary. The land was first settled around 1702, when a forge was erected to use the bog iron in Assawompset and Long Ponds.

The town was largely agricultural since it lacked the major water resources to attract early industrialists. In the 19th century, however, its limited water power allowed development of a tack and nail factory, a tannery, and some small shoe making companies. Later in the century, neighboring communities drew off a significant percentage of the Lakeville water supply and cut off the cottage and recreational potential of lakeside properties.

With the shriveling of industry, the town has remained essentially as it began, a pleasant rural community still showing significant agricultural character but with some suburban development pressures visible. Residents are very proud of the community’s continuing beauty. They enjoy using the Long Pond recreational area which offers traditional summer sports as well as ice skating, ice boarding and ice fishing. The woodlands surrounding the town’s lakes provide hiking and picnicking opportunities while three golf courses, indoor tennis facilities and a racquet and fitness club provide for the athletic interests of residents.

It is located in southeastern Massachusetts, bordered by Middleborough on the north and east, Freetown and Rochester on the south, and Berkley and Taunton on the west. ”

From the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD)